Friday, October 21, 2005

Suicide is Painless

A link to an article on Pitchfork today.

Interesting look at suicide and music, both of which play heavily in "Suicide Squad."

Of particular relevance to our project:

Where the hell do we first hear about, or imagine, killing ourselves? I think that the lazy rhetoric of parents plants the seed: I remember asking for Nikes, or a certain type of bookbag that a classmate had, and being responded to with the question, "What if your classmate jumped off of a bridge and died, would you want that, too?" In my prior fantasies of jumping off of things, I always flew, but my parents insisted on passing some existential nugget of resistance and dread along to me. What an unjustified raising of the stakes! "Mom, can I have an Eastpak?" "Son, can you die?" (I am reminded of the brand names rattled off in the The New York Post by the surviving boyfriend of a girl who leapt to her death at NYU: "She was wearing my Merrill Lynch baseball cap, and the white Banana Republic jacket I'd bought her. She had been wearing Prada sneakers that matched mine.")

In this excellent piece, Mr. Bowers comments on some of the same issues that we addressed in our script.

There is a groundswell out there -- no not a suicide movement, which has never been something we encouraged, and is not the point of the film.

We, like Mr. Bowers, ask you to look at societal values, culture, and norms with eyes wide open. Don't take information as it is spoon fed to you by mass media and political spin machines.

I look forward to divulging more about our script in the coming months.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home